gravatar

What It Actually Cost Me to Find A DUI Defense Attorney

What It Actually Cost Me to Find A DUI Defense Attorney


I was pulled over for a DUI in Colorado in late July; and I wanted to give you my personal experiences in trying to find a DUI defense attorney.
At first, I didn't think I needed one; after all, most of my friends told me that retaining a DUI defense attorney for a DUI first offense was a waste of money.
But then I went online and began doing my own research; and here is exactly how it worked out for me...
Average DUI First Offense Penalties
First off, let's go over the average penalties for a DUI in my state, Colorado. Naturally, they vary by state, but they are usually in the ballpark of those listed below here.
For a DUI first offense, we usually see... A) Two to thee days jail time B) Fines in the $1000 to $1500 range C) And community service in the 35 hour to 40 hour range
At least, that is what one of my friends received that did not hire a DUI defense attorney.
What I Actually Paid for My DUI Defense Attorney...
I looked around, asked the right questions, and found a good DUI defense attorney I was comfortable with. After a little negotiation, I retained him for a flat fee of $1200. But did he actually cost me $1200?
No; by the time everything was finished, he actually cost me about $20 in total. How? Well, let's examine this by breaking it down item by item.
My DUI defense attorney was able to....
-Eliminate any jail time whatsoever.
My friend without a DUI attorney pled guilty and received 3 days in jail. I didn't spend a single day in jail, so I didn't miss those 3 days of work.
I make an average of $20 per hour; or $160 per day over an 8 hour day. So 3 days of missed work at $160 per day was a total of $480.
So I can subtract the $480 that I didn't lose from my retainer cost of $1200, and we have a balance of $720...
-Reduce the total fines for my DUI
My friend without the attorney paid a total of $1100 in fines for his DUI first offense. My attorney got this knocked down to $800 for myself. That was a total savings of $300 that I received because I hired an attorney.
So even at the low end of saving only $300 in total fines, my cost of hiring my DUI defense attorney is now down to $420 (balance of $720 minus the $300 in fines saved..)
-Reduce the amount of community service
Community service for a first time DUI conviction usually ranges between 35 hours and 40 hours. My friend without the attorney received 40 hours of community service; which in his case was working at the dog pound cleaning kennels.
My DUI defense attorney was able to get this reduced to only 20 hours of community service; which was a difference in 20 full hours between me and my friend.
Since I make $20 per hour at work, I have just saved another $400 ($20 per hour by 20 hours of reduced community service)
So Let's Compare...
So, in comparison, how much did it actually cost me to hire my DUI defense attorney?
My friend didn't spend a dime on an attorney, and saved the $1200 retainer fee. But he spent 3 days in jail, had a fine of $1100, and had to do 40 hours of community service.
I spent the $1200 to retain my attorney; but he saved me three days in jail, $300 on my fines, and 20 hours of community service.
Had I not spent the $1200 retainer, I would have lost...
Three days of work @ $160 per day.............$480 difference $1100 in fines vs $800................................ $300 difference 40 hours community service vs 20 hrs....... $400 difference
Total $1180
So I would have saved that $1200 retainer; but I would have still been out $1180... A difference of a whopping $20.
So, was it worth it to find a DUI defense attorney? In my case, it was. In your case, it may be completely different. But do your own research, and at least check around.
Find A DUI Defense Attorney
Luckily, you can find all of the DUI defense attorney information you need at one single place.
Also, discover the 6 qualifications the best DUI attorney has that the other attorneys do not. Give them a look today....


Recent Post :